· Car issues: Have no car as she is sold. So limited currently to what is possible! Safaricom have promised our vehicle on the first week of August, so here’s hoping!
· Proposals have been sent to Oprah and to Coca Cola Africa..
· Funding expires end of August now...
· STILL looking for a donor to produce our KLT leaflet... and to print the booklists!
· Jane Ainslie from UK visited Mathare North and Kawangware libraries on 25th July, with her 9 year old daughter Kate! Jane is very interested in setting KLT up as a charity, and coordinating fund raising etc when she returns to the UK! THANK YOU!!! This means we will at last be able to apply to Comic Relief for funding, and for other donor organisations also require UK charity status. Jane also brought toys, pens, paper, and a wonderful pack of posters and games for each centre.
· Sara Lee Ltd has donated boxes of sanitary towels for our Mathare North centre Super Angels girls group, and for Sipili centre.
· Really desperately wanting funding to start our girls group in Sipili.... about 70 girls are waiting for their club to start! We need about KSH5000/- (about £45) per month (this is transport and lunch costs for our speakers).
· The consignment of books organised from the UK by Pauline Cunningham arrived in the KidsLibs office safely!! Sorting them as and when we can get to the office! THANK YOU SO MUCH PAULINE!!
· Requesting for donations of class sets of children’s novels (about 20 copies of each title) for our book-clubs, which will resume in September with the new school year at the international schools. We are trying to find books based loosely on a theme of tolerance and reconciliation, for children aged about 10 -12 years. We have already used S.E. Hinton’s The Outsiders, Beverley Naidoo’s Burn My Heart, Jeanne DePrau’s City of Ember, Heaven’s Shop by..., Hoot by.... and Shabanu by... Would LOVE a set of Michelle Paver’s Wolf Brother for example..
· Possible new centre in Murang’a area.
The adults books for Murang’a were delivered to the site! BookAid International are trying to find a donor for us to finish building this wonderful new library.
· BookAid are also sending us new stock for each of our centres
· AFK are due to visit KLT in August. They have sent on a donation of stock, which has arrived in Nairobi! We are organising how to get it to KLT office... no vehicle!!!
· Sipili we are still trying to find a donor to build us a new building including fencing, a toilet block, a security guard house and solar power. Looks like the security issues are being sorted out, as many arrests have been made. Joseph, who runs the library there, has organised his library group to making a drama about how the post election violence affected the children in his area. He wants to make a DVD of this. We are trying to find him funding for costumes etc.
· Anne is doing some training on holiday activities with all staff members at our July meeting next week. Anne is also mentioning Dyslexia, which no one is Kenya out of the international schools has heard of.
· STILL NEED NEW TRUSTEES and chair, as Smita is no longer available...ALSO a new treasurer, both willing to be signatories on the KLT account.. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?? We also need these Trustees to be ACTIVE, helping write proposals, finding contacts, etc
TALK AGAIN NEXT MONTH!
DONT FORGET TO KEEP WATCHING OUR WEBSITE!!!
Orange is KLT projects
Green is existing KLT centres
Purple is proposed new centres
Blue is donors